This vegetable side is the perfect accompaniment for spicy bronzed chicken. It’s certainly flavorful enough to hold its own with any strong entree.
- a bundle of asparagus
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- salt and pepper
- 3 T aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard (dijon is good but all I had was yellow)
- fresh parsley
1. Slice the onion thinly
2. Place in a pan over medium heat with the olive oil.
3. After a couple minutes, start steaming the asparagus. I do mine pretty much the same way as broccoli, in the microwave.
4. By the time the asparagus is almost done, your onions should look like this. Deliciously floppy, browning, and caramelized.
5. Mix the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
6. Remove the onions from heat, and stir in the vinegar mixture. If you do this while the pan is still really hot, it will spatter everywhere.
7. Put it back on the burner, and let the vinegar reduce a bit so that everything is thick and amazing-looking.
8. Serve the asparagus with the caramelized balsamic onions over it, with fresh parsley sprinkled on top.