Solo parenting takes a lot of energy, y’all. Just so you know. In case you don’t already know. And if you do already know, props to you. This stuff ain’t no walk in the park.
So anyway, just some things.
- I’m learning/practicing back wraps. I haven’t figured out how to make it comfy enough to wear for multiple hours, but it’s comfy enough and very secure, so that I can rush around and do some things that require leaning over… emptying the dishwasher (and filling it), moving boxes around, laundry, whatever. It’s cool.
- Teething is going on. And it is intense. VERY intense. A million people have asked me, “Have you tried an amber teething necklace?” Um, do you ever look at my pictures? She has been wearing one 24/7 for over a month. So that’s covered. Icy toys, wet cold cloths, Borion’s camilia, Hyland’s teething gel, breast milk popsicles, ice cubes, and Tylenol. I went out to buy ibuprofen (Motrin) for her today and the infant Motrin wasn’t on the shelves…recalled (again?) and the only other brand was children’s (2+ years), not infant. So that did not happen today. But I am venturing into town tomorrow to search some more. Also, all the teething toys in the world won’t help much when she is trying to go to sleep… she needs drug-induced relief.
- Teeth have erupted. I don’t know if you can see them in this picture. I can though. The two little slivers of the very tippy tops of her bottom front teeth. Hard to get a photo of them though, because she wiggles a lot and her tongue covers them up most of the time. Everyone said when they pop, the pain and such is over for a bit… but that doesn’t seem to be true in this case. Who knows? Maybe more teeth are on the way already, or maybe these still just hurt.
- I think she’s growing. LOTS of nursing the last 36 hours or so. I mean TONS. Last night, after the first few hours in her own room, she was latched on and nursing the entire rest of the night… we had had a few great nights in a row, with her sleeping well on her own until the early hours of the morning, so this was out of the ordinary.
- I went ahead and ordered some zip-up footie sleepers in 9m size, since her 6m ones are getting a bit tight length-wise. I also looked through her 9m clothes, but it looks like most of it is spring stuff. I think I might just improvise with spring dresses, jackets/coats, and leg warmers/long socks… I’m a bit lazy when it comes to baby pants. I take them off to change a diaper, and don’t put them back on unless we’re going to leave the house. So baby leg warmers or thigh-high socks are perfect for us.
- Anneliese and Zora are becoming fast friends. Sometimes if Anneliese is having a hard time and nothing is cheering her up, I’ll call Zora over and ask her to sit nearby. Inevitably, Anneliese ends up laughing and reaching out to touch her dog. It is very sweet.
- It is taking me some time to come to terms with the fact that it takes longer (a LOT longer) to get settled into a new house when you’re alone with a baby. For every other move, we’ve been pretty much settled within a week. Here, we’re comfortable living here – everything is unpacked – but it’s not “finished” yet. Pictures on walls, curtains, that sort of thing. I’m working on it, but it’s taking a long time. I had envisioned quickly getting set-up and then hosting a sweet little lunch housewarming. Yeah, that didn’t happen. But bits and pieces are slowly coming together.