Have you ever cracked an egg and found double egg yolks inside?
Did you wonder what the egg with two yolks meant, or if it were some special sign? A lot of people interpret double yolks as an omen.
A few things double egg yolks are said to signify are:
- Pregnancy, especially with twins (for you or a loved one)
- Someone is going to get married soon (double yolks in one shell = union of two people in marriage)
- Plenty, good fortune – Wiccan
- You’ll get double your expectations (good things)
- A death will happen in the family soon – Norse mythology
But I just take double egg yolks as a general “fertility” omen. With a grain of salt, as with all omens.
So when I got this double yolk at the beginning of the month, my first thought was that my friend who has been trying to get pregnant will be pregnant soon (or was already).
But it wasn’t that. Or not JUST that anyway.
My period started that day. The first one since before I was pregnant with Anneliese (in 2009!)…if you don’t count the two days of spotting I had in between Anneliese and Joseph.
And a few days later, one of my girl friends got her first postpartum period, after 2.5 years. And then another friend (the one who is trying for baby 2) got hers back too.
So fertility. Lots of fertility. All signified by double egg yolks.
So tell me, have you had a double-yolk omen that was true?
This post was originally published June 2013. Edited and updated December 2015.