I’ve been so excited about my new donut pan! I even have another one on the way, and even ordered the mini-donut pan too. There’s just something about baked confections with a hole in the middle! Why are they so fun??
So my Mother-in-law is in town this weekend, and since both kids were napping at the same time, I decided to make some donuts. But she isn’t a fan of coconut. A request for chocolate donuts later, and…
Grain-Free Chocolate Cake Donuts
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients except for dark chocolate in a bowl until well-blended (I used my stand mixer with whisk attachment).
- Gently stir in the dark chocolate. Let the batter sit for a while. (Coconut flour recipes generally benefit from this because it allows the flour to absorb more, and it’ll give a less grainy texture to the finished product.)
- Fill your donut pan with the batter. The original recipe and the pan instructions say 2/3 full, but I filled them all the way… I just made sure to scrape off the “hole” part so they would have nice holes in the middle. I got 12 donuts out of this recipe, which means I had to do them in 2 batches (but when I get my second donut pan, I can do them all at once).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow donuts to cool in the pan about 10 minutes before removing.
- Remove donuts and dip the tops in the vanilla glaze.
- Eat right away, allow the glaze to “set.
Vanilla Donut Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Combine the ingredients and mix well.
- Gently heat in a double-boiler or microwave at half-power until the glaze is warm and thin enough to dip your donuts in it. There is actually a spot on my stove that gets hot when the oven is on (in the center back) and I just set my bowl of glaze there, stirring occasionally as the donuts baked.
- Dip tops of cooled donuts in the glaze, and place on a tray to set for a few minutes.