My mother-in-law makes a fantastic sourdough bread stuffing with onions, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes. It’s something I always looked forward to at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and to be honest, if she were making it I’d still totally eat it up. Sourdough bread is one kind of bread that has never caused me digestive discomfort after “going Primal.” (It still has the high-carb effect of being hungrier, sleepy, etc, but that’s much more tolerable when splurging than bloating, gas, and pain.)
But buying sourdough in my house is VERY rare, and I wanted to see if I could Primal-ize the stuffing recipe so that I wouldn’t have to feel like it was a splurge or compromise at all. And I did.
It was really, really good. It’s gone now, which makes me sad, but now that I know it works and is awesome, I’m totally going to make it for Christmas.
To start with, you’ll need about half of this grain-free bread recipe, or enough to make about 4 cups of croutons. Cut the bread into cubes about 1”, then put in a 250 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until it dries out and gets a little toasty.
Meanwhile, dice 2 onions and start sautéing them in about 1/4 cup olive oil.
Peel and mince 2 garlic cloves.
And about 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (the ones in oil in a jar, not the dry crunchy ones in a baggie).
Also cut up 2 cans or jars of artichoke hearts (in water, not marinated) and add them to the onions once they’re translucent.
Add the garlic and tomatoes. Heat everything through.
Now dump the mixture into a 9 x 13” baking dish, along with the croutons. Add about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, and sprinkle salt and basil to your preference.
Whisk together 2 eggs and 1 cup of chicken stock.
And pour it over the bread mixture, then stir to combine.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes,
then uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
I had to dig in right away. And it made my day!
Grain-Free Artichoke Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffing Recipe
- 4 cups of croutons (1” cubes made from this grain-free bread in an oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes.)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut-up
- 2 cans or jars of artichoke hearts (in water)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and cut up tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- When onions are translucent, add tomatoes and artichoke hearts. Heat through.
- Pour mixture over croutons in a 9×13” baking dish.
- Add cheese, salt, and basil. Mix.
- Whisk together stock and eggs. Pour over bread mixture and combine.
- Bake 30 minutes, covered.
- Uncover, and bake 10 minutes longer.